Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus. The first infection may have the symptoms of adrenal glands, a general feeling of being unwell and painful mouth ulcers. Subsequent attacks occur mostly when the man or woman has been run down and they begin with a itching and tingling on a place around the nostrils and lips, then very small blisters appear. These blister break and weep. Then they crust over and slowly disappear. Scratching will spread the virus and it may result in a bacterial infection. The virus resides permanently at the nerve endings of several adults and kids. Cold sores are infectious and care ought to be taken not to spread them to other areas of the body or to other folks.
The following may activate the virus
- bad diet (even if only in the short term),
- dietary triggers like peanuts and chocolate,
- psychological or physical stress and fatigue,
- rubbing or chafing of the skin,
- depleted immunity or being ‘run down’.
What you can do to treat cold sores
When treating cold sores it’s crucial to increase the immune system – thus assisting the body to fight the virus.
- Cleanse your body of toxins so the immune system can operate at its best.
- Make certain you eat a diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts and kohlrabi, onion and garlic, chili, ginger, sprouted seeds and beans and use cold pressed vegetable and seed oils. These all help the immune system.
- Have tons of garlic or use a garlic supplement or alternative natural antibiotic such as olive oil extract or grapefruit seed extract.
- Take vitamin C (especially calcium ascorbate – this is a non-acidifying vitamin C).
- Take a good multivitamin and mineral supplement.
- Manage your stress levels. Progressive relaxation and creative visualisation will be of help with stress depression or anxiety. Additionally, there are many herbal remedies which you can use to take care of stress.
- Be certain you have loads of exercise.
Herbs For Immune System
These herbs will support your immune system and should be taken along with the recommendations above:
- gold seal
- huang qi
- poke root
- dandelion root
- 2 parts cleavers
- 2 components echinacea
- 1 part oats
- 1 part poke root
Combine all the ingredients. Take 1 teaspoon of the herb blend and place into a suitable sized saucepan and add 1 cup of boiling water. Allow this to stand for 10-15 minutes. Strain out the herbs. Drink 1 cup of the tea twice daily.