Carduus marianus L.
Silybum marianum has other common names including cardus marianus, milk thistle, blessed milkthistle, Marian thistle, Mary thistle, Saint Mary's thistle, Mediterranean milk thistle, variegated thistle and Scotch thistle (though not to be confused with Onopordum acanthium). This species is an annual or biennial plant of the family Asteraceae. This fairly typical thistle has red to purple flowers and shiny pale green leaves with white veins. Originally a native of Southern Europe through to Asia, it is now found throughout the world.
milk thistle (plural milk thistles)
- Any of the thistles in the genus Silybum, especially Silybum marianum.
- Lactuca serriola, prickly lettuce
- Various plants of genus Sonchus (sow thistles) with milky sap:
- Sonchus asper rough milk thistle
- Sonchus arvensis field milk thistle
- Sonchus oleraceus (common sow thistle)
- Sonchus wilmsii
- (Silybum marianum): blessed milkthistle, holy thistle, variegated thistle