Acidity refers to a set of symptoms caused by an inequity. More names for acidity are hyperacidity or acid dyspepsia. Acid reflux is one of the most normal diseases that cause heart burns in the upper body.
Causes and symptoms
Acidity can be a result of bad dietary regimen or stress. It is a problem which when left unattended to, results in peptic ulcer and other issues. It is quite a simple problem when it starts, but it can get out of hand easily if not taken seriously. It means the excess secretion of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach.
The usual symptoms of heartburn are a burning sensation or pain in the stomach after 1 to 4 hours of a meal. Too much secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach causes acidity.
Too much secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach causes acidity. Some causes of acidity include alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, chocolate, citrus, tomato, peppermint, fried and fatty foods, over-eating, stress, some medications, and being overweight. Acid Reflux Disease causes harms to the esophagus as the acidic contents from the stomach, containing acids and pepsin, pushes back to the esophagus since the sphincter develops into weak and can no-more prevent the contents from stomach from gushing back in esophagus
Skipping meals, not eating on time, fried and spicy food, stress, anxiety, insomnia, obesity, smoking, alcohol, and wearing tight clothes can give you hyperacidity and heartburn.
Acidity is a problem that occurs very commonly; so going in for medications every time doesn’t seem to be a very good thought.
Home Remedies for Acidity
- Eat a cup of vanilla ice cream or drink a glass of cold milk to get rid of acidity.
- Raita prepared with fresh curd, grated cucumber, fresh coriander, tomato is a sure shot remedy in aiding digestion, and helps eliminate acidity.
- Fresh mint juice taken every day or fresh mint leaves boiled in a cup of water and sipped slowly after meals also helps
- Mint juice before meals keeps acidity at bay.
- Chewing 5-6 basil leaves relieves flatulence and acidity.
- Half a glass of fresh pineapple juice after a meal
- A very simple remedy for acidity is thin butter-milk mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- The juice of onions is an excellent remedy for acidity.
- Habitual healthy diet can prevent acidity
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids to maintain the acid balance in the stomach
- A sherbet made with kokum and jeera reduces acidity
- Citron rind can also be eaten to prevent heartburn
- Cold milk provides instant relief.
- Eat almonds to give relief to symptoms of acidity
- Chew a few holy basil (tulsi ) leaves to get relief
- Bananas, cucumber and watermelon have protective action against the acidity and heart burn
- The juice of one lemon mixed in half glass of water and half teaspoon sugar if consumed before meals helps to relieve acidity
- When suffering from acidity, drink five to eight glass of coconut water a day.