Indian Lotus, Sacred Lotus
Categories: Ayurvedic Medicine, Essential Oil, Food, Medicinal Plant, Powder, Tea, Tincture, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Unani Medicine
« Back to Glossary Index
Borrowed from Latin lōtus.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈloʊtəs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈləʊtəs/
- Rhymes: -əʊtəs
lotus (plural lotuses or loti)
- A kind of aquatic plant, genus Nelumbo in the family Nelumbonaceae.
- A water lily, genus Nymphaea, especially those of Egypt or India.
- A legendary plant eaten by the Lotophagi of the Odyssey that caused drowsiness and euphoria.
- A number of other plants bearing lotus in their scientific or common names (see Derived terms below).
- Diospyros lotus, date plum or Caucasian