Categories: Medicinal Plant
« Back to Glossary Index
From Middle French pensée (“thought”), as the plant resembles someone that is in deep thought, with a lowered head.
- IPA(key): /ˈpæn.zi/
pansy (plural pansies)
- A cultivated flowering plant, derived by hybridization within species Viola tricolor.
- A deep purple colour, like that of the pansy.
- Any of various nymphalid butterflies of the genus Junonia. Also called arguses.
- (derogatory, colloquial, dated) A male homosexual, especially one who is effeminate.
- (derogatory, colloquial) A timid, weak man or boy; a wuss.