Illicium verum, Illicium anisatum
Categories: Andean Ancestral Medicine, Ayurvedic Medicine, Essential Oil, Food, Homeopathic Medicine, Medicinal Plant, Powder, Russian Folk Medicine, Tea, Tincture, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Unani Medicine
« Back to Glossary Index
Star Anise (Wiktionary)
star anise (countable and uncountable, plural star anises)
- A plant, Illicium verum, used primarily for its star-shaped seed which resembles anise in scent and flavor, and which is used as a spice. Valued for its decorative shape as well as its flavor. Also used commercially as a source of shikimic acid for the production of Tamiflu.
- The star-shaped seed used as a spice.
- (Illicium verum): Chinese star anise, true star anise
- Japanese star anise (Illicium anisatum)
- swamp star anise (Illicium parviflorum)
- star anise on Wikipedia.Wikipedia