Knee pain can be quite debilitating, as it’s among the most used and complex joints of the human body. The stability of the knee is because of four ligaments, muscles and the actual joint structure. During the course of a typical day, the knee goes through a whole variety of moves, from walking, sitting, twisting etc.
Why does it hurt?
The knee also encourages out weight in conjunction to the toes. Because of this abuse we put our knees through there may be damage to the muscle, cartilage or the joint itself. Some of this pain can be relieved by means of anti-inflammatory ointments or tablets, more severe cases require medical care for a more effective treatment although some patients have had their knee or knees replaced.
These may differ from person to person and may range from nagging to acute pain.
- Discomfort while performing regular daily chores
- Inflammation of the joint
- Tenderness around the region
- Instability [knee gives way for no reason]
- A feeling of grinding
- Injury to the knee
- Can manifest it-self with body aches and back pain
Traditionally caused by old age or injury, in this day and age there are more modern causes for this problem:
- Septic arthritis
- Artrite reumatoide
Moreover, of course are all of the injuries we can sustain because of sport e.g. dislocation, torn ligaments, cartilage injury etc. Painful knee injuries or conditions can interfere with an individual’s manner of life; some may require surgery while others need extensive rehabilitation treatment.
- Oil massage – using olive or coconut oil, warm it up and massage the knee in circular motions. This will encourage a greater blood circulation to the area and alleviate any inflammation that may be present, thereby relieving the pain in the region.
- Herbs – cat claw, devil’s claw and boswellia have proven skills and nutrition, which help assist in relieving pain and inflammation.
- R.I.C.E – using this technique it is possible to alleviate the strain we put on our knees. [R = rest, I = ice pack, C = compression and E = elevate]. This is a easy way to take care of your knee if any trouble flares up.
- Diet – obesity may cause endless knee issues and it’s strongly recommended that you select a specialized diet and try return to your ideal weight.
- Exercise – avoid the exercises which place stress on the problematic knee, but remember to do some strength building exercises to help improve the strength of the knee.
Painful knee problems can also benefit from a well balanced diet program, remember to drink your usual 2 liters of water every day and limit your intake of salt, alcohol, fat and processed sugars or foods etc.