Did you know that many, perhaps 75%, of conventional medications are refinements of herbal medications? One example of that is that the isolation of morphine from opium in 1806. This was the first time that chemical methods were used to extract the active chemical components of an herb. The chemical processes used to isolate morphine caused the creation of codeine, the popular cough suppressant. There are plenty of examples of commonly used drugs which come from various plant substances, some of which may often be found right in your own backyard.
Although you should always consult your doctor for medical conditions before using any therapy, artificial or natural, the objective of this guide is to inform you of the many botanically-derived remedies which could be considered for treating several of the most frequent skin issues. There are many benefits of using herbs as opposed to the drugs derived from them. A normal medication is composed of one, or sometimes two, clinically active chemical compounds, plus carrier chemicals and a buffer. Herbs and herbal formulas usually contain at least dozens, and oftentimes, countless active ingredients. The many active ingredients act on the body, and on one another, simultaneously. This serves to create the principal active ingredients of the herb more successful. Additionally, it serves to avoid the toxic reactions that may result in side effects. Herbal remedies are more likely to fix conditions without causing additional issues.
Although there are lots of methods for creating herbal remedies, with the intention of hair and skin treatments and also to simplify the procedure for home remedy use, I suggest buying the herb in the kind of its essential oil. Essential Oils are highly concentrated extracts of this herb and can be obtained in small dropper bottles in your local nutrition store or online. Just 1 drop of essential oil is often equal to 1 full ounce of the plant.
Before employing essential oil to hair or skin, you always have to dilute the oil . A carrier (or foundation ) is employed for this purpose. The carrier may be natural oil such as olive, jojoba, apricot kernel or similar oil. You might also use your favorite unscented lotion or shampoo or conditioner for a carrier base. I often use organic aloe vera gel as a foundation for treating skin conditions due to the extraordinary therapeutic benefits of the aloe vera plant. I also prefer using aloe vera gel because it’s not oily or greasy on the skin.
A good guideline for diluting the essential oil to the carrier foundation for the purpose of treating a skin disease is to use approximately 8 to10 drops of essential oil into 1 full ounce of the carrier base. If you’re using more than 1 kind of essential oil, then split the drops evenly to equal 8 to10 drops total of the various essential oils to 1 full ounce of the carrier base.
Below is a list of 40 herbs, each with its own summary of therapeutic benefits. Simply choose between 1 to 3 herbs to use to your specific ailment you’re treating and add the right number of drops into your carrier foundation as explained above. Stir it shake it to combine the ingredients well and store in a tightly sealed container. Apply it to the affected area two to three times every day.
- Aloe Vera: Greatest natural source of alpha lipoic acid. Hydrating, soothing, moisturizing and healing for all skin types. Aloe Vera has extraordinary healing properties, is anti-inflammatory and can soothe the skin and help heal cuts, grazes, burns, radiation burns and insect bites.
- Angelica: Good for dull, irritated, inflamed skin, psoriasis, and bacterial infections.
- Basil: Conditions the hair and stimulates hair growth, anti inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, anti-infectious, antibiotic, quite good insect repellent and also great for acne.
- Bergamot: Good for eczema, herpes, acne, psoriasis, skin infections, cold sores, blisters, shingles, and chicken pox. Antiseptic, antibiotic, anti-spasmodic, antifungal, anti-viral, anti inflammatory.
- Burdock: Excellent for boils, eczema and chronic skin and hair issues. Prevents body’s immune system from attacking the skin, kills streptococcus germs and lots of disease-causing parasites which infect cracked skin. Add to shampoo or conditioner for a scalp treatment to improve hair strength, shine, body, and also to fight hair loss, dandruff or itching.
- Calendula: Anti-hemorrhage, anti inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, fungicidal. Excellent for burns, cuts, eczema, oily greasy skin, bruises, soothes skin, inflammations, insect bites, rashes, wounds, cracked dry skin, stretch marks and diaper rash.
- Cedarwood: Cleansing properties, antiseptic, antifungal, great for oily or blemished skin, natural astringent used in acne treatments. Relieves eczema, psoriasis, skin inflammation, dandruff, insect bites, hair loss, dry or oily hair, softens skin.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is excellent for several kinds of skin conditions in addition to severely infected skin. It’s an anti-inflammatory impact, great for hypersensitive skin, eczema, skin rashes, acne, rosacea and allergic skin reactions. Brings out natural brightness and highlights in hair when used in a shampoo.
- Chickweed: Chickweed is excellent for nausea, abscesses, skin irritations and rashes. Chickweed has an anti-inflammatory activity like cortisone.
- Cinnamon: Good for diseases, antiseptic, antibiotic, antifungal, warts, anti-viral
- Citronella: Insect repellent, prevents mosquitoes, ticks, fleas and other insects.
- Clary Sage: Regenerates skin cells. Good for oily hair and skin, blemishes, mature, wrinkled or inflamed skin, acne, boils and puffy skin.
- Cypress: Natural astringent and antibiotic. Good for mature skin, oily skin and acne. Stimulates cell regeneration.
- Comfrey Root: Among the most valuable plants in the cosmetics and medicine. Regenerates aging tissues.
- Eucalyptus: Antiseptic, antibiotic, antifungal, anti-infectious and anti-parasitic. Regenerates skin cells. Good for insect bites and rashes.
- Everlasting: Excellent for acne, scar tissue, mature skin, stretch marks, spots, warts, old scars, dermatitis, broken veins and burns. Antibacterial properties.
- Frankincense: Good for dry, mature, aging skin, acne, scars, reduces wrinkles, balances out oily skin, healing for all skin types. Anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, natural astringent.
- Goldenseal: Excellent anti-fungal with antibiotic properties which combats secondary bacterial infections.
- Gotu Kola: Good for wounds, psoriasis and scarring. Stimulates the regeneration of skin tissues and underling connective tissues, beneficial effect on hydration and inhibits its excess generation in scar formation, accelerates the healing of burns and skin grafts and reduces scarring.
- Grapefruit: Used for acne, athletes foot, tones and tightens skin, antiseptic, disinfectant, detoxifier and anti-infectious. Good astringent for oily hair and skin, aids in hair development.
- Green Tea: Natural anti inflammatory used in cosmetics especially to decrease the puffiness around the eyes. Also has astringent properties.
- Hibiscus: Natural source of Vitamin C and malic acid. Used by the to treat wounds, dandruff and stimulate hair growth. Has antibacterial properties.
- Hyssop: Good for acne, bruises, cuts, wounds, dermatitis, eczema, inflammations, scars, and cell regeneration.
- Jasmine: Used for sensitive, mature, aging skin and stretch marks. Beneficial for dry, greasy, irritated skin.
- Lavender: Among the most popular herbs, lavender is excellent for several skin conditions like dermatitis, eczema, sunburn, insect bites, infections, rashes, infected hair follicles, pimples, black heads and mild forms of acne. Antiseptic, analgesic, antispasmodic, tonic, anti inflammatory, antibiotic, anti-infectious, antitoxin and anti-parasitic
- Lemon Balm: Good for acne, infections, boils, warts; increases shine and growth of hair and nails, antibiotic, astringent, and antiseptic. Beneficial for oily complexions, hair and skin blemishes.
- Lemongrass: Good for acne and infections. Natural astringent, antiseptic, anti-infectious, anti-parasitic and anti-fungal. Also great for enlarged pores.
- Myrrh: Beneficial for skin that is inflamed, boils, athlete’s foot, chapped skin, mature skin, wrinkles and ringworm.
- Neroli: Scar tissue, improves elasticity and reduces stretch marks. Good facial softener, great for total skin care, regenerates skin cells and tones adult, dry, sensitive skin.
- St. John’s Wort: Excellent antibacterial and antiviral properties for treating burns, cuts, scrapes, and minor skin irritations. Also may be useful herpes breakouts.
- Palmarosa: Good for acne, scarring, blackheads, athlete’s foot, eczema and other fungal infections. Antibiotic, anti-viral, anti-infectious, antiseptic, moisturizing, regenerates skin cells, aids in controlling oil production of the skin.
- Patchouli: Natural antiseptic, antifungal and antifungal. Used for psoriasis, athlete’s foot, ringworm, parasites, rejuvenates skin cells, dry and mature skin, scars, eczema, inflamed, cracked skin, acne, removes dandruff, repels bugs, and relieves insect bites.
- Ravensara: Natural antiseptic, antiviral, antitoxin, antibiotic and anti-infectious. Beneficial for cold sores, herpes, and shingles.
- Rose: Natural astringent, anti-infectious, antiseptic, astringent, antiviral and emollient. Regenerates cells, heals radiation burns faster, great for scarring and for use on all skin types especially mature, sensitive and dry skin.
- Rosemary: Good for diseases, acne, skin care and hair care, Natural anti-toxic and antiseptic.
- Rosewood: Anti-infectious, antibacterial, antifungal and antifungal. Good for candida, acne, dry, sensitive, inflamed dermatitis, scars, wrinkles, regenerates cells.
- Sandalwood: Used for discoloration, acne, dry, aged, chapped skin, soothing as an aftershave treatment, great for dry and greasy hair, and increases water retention of collagen. Natural antiseptic,astringent and emollient. Encourages new cell development.
- Tea Tree: Tea Tree is an important herb tremendously beneficial to several skin ailments such as cuts, wounds, abrasions, rashes, insect bites, nail ringworm, psoriasis, ringworm, thrush, head lice, boils, cold sores, acne and infections. Can protect skin during radiation therapy, reduces swelling, heals scar tissue, controls oil on the skin, and dries up pus.
- Vetiver: Beneficial for acne, cuts, mature skin, oily skin, dry skin, infections, inflammations, regenerates cells, great for sagging skin, softens and soothes
- Witch Hazel: Natural astringent that also tones the skin. For all skin types.